Mittwoch, 11. August 2010

Interview: Rainer, Merch Guy extraordinaire

Ok, this interview #2 in our brand new series of interviews. What follows is a conversation with Rainer, Final Prayer merch guy and road dog extraordinaire. A man of many beers and cigarettes, and of few words. Rainer's also got one of the driest, most sarcastic sense of humors going on, which makes us laugh all the time. Hope you enjoy reading the interview as much as I did conducting it!



Your first contact with FP actually happened even before the demo came out. You did try out as a potential vocalist, but obviously didn't get the job. What happened?

Yup, that's true i happen to be one of the dozen vocalists they tried out. So here's the story behind it. I ran into felix at a show while he was still doing this band 'battle royale'. He told me that he just started a band with flo and that it was supposed to have more of a traditional nyhc, hatebreedish sound. He asked me if I wanted to try out as a singer. They might have thought 'lets pick this guy he`s always singing along to all those clevo bands like a maniac', lets give him a try. So I showed up at 3 rehearsals and to cut a long story short:I SUCKED! I`m glad they didn’t pick me.

The first couple of tours where done with different merchandisers. How did you come into play and what sets you apart from other merchandisers/ road dogs?


It all started about 3 or 4 years ago when I did merch at a couple of weekend shows for them. Soon after that they were offered to do support Comeback Kid for a short european tour. I was unemployed at that time so I had nothing else to do anyway. So I joined them and from there on I kinda stuck with it. I really don’t think there's something special which sets me apart from other merch dudes/dudettes. Well, maybe the fact that I got myself a case built, in which I can put my wineglasses, corkscrew, cigarettes and the shortest fairy tale in the world and bring it with me to all the shows. That means I got more equipment with me than the singer, because he brings nothing with him at all.

What made you stick around the FP camp for so long now? Are you never getting tired of sitting in the van for hours on end, hearing the same old jokes, smelling the same disgusting farts etc.?


I don’t mind the driving except the long drives back home after the last show. Don’t mind the farting either. On tour every one is on a coleslaw, baked beans and white bread diet (if you don’t fart from it, somethings wrong with you). Well except for Stephan, who every now and then eats big pink lumps of grilled meat. The jokes change by the way. Every weekend, every tour always is different stupid stuff to laugh about. Driving to a show and being served cold noodles with ketchup as veggie dinner and drunk fuck ups asking for free shirts because they`ve spent all their money at the bar really annoy me. Apart from that it`s really cool because you get the chance to see lots of cities/countries and meet a lot of new people. Playing shows/festivals were some of your favourite bands are playing is nice as well.

What has been the best city/ place/ location you've been to so far with FP?

I really enjoyed going to southern europe and eastern europe last year. Lots of cool people there and surprisingly modern venues. Way better than expected and sometimes better than the ones we´re used to in germany. It was cool talking to the locals about the problems they have to cope with and the core in general. East and south germany is always fun and Vienna is a special treat (ask Mac). In general I like going to places i/we`ve never been before. I don’t like going to France, barely someone is speaking english and half the kids ask if they can pay with credit card or if I have a plastic bag. Do I look like a salesman at a carrefour supermarket? I don’t think so.

You have a reputation for being behind the wheel for hours without ever getting tired; what's your secret?

That is a myth that was created while I was on tour with the Scott Vogel experience aka Terror. We had really long drives and drove 26000km in 32 days. So I got my reputation from that tour. As for FP, I do lots of driving, but the others enjoy a drive every now and then. Especially since Mac is a proud owner of a driving license and Stephan overcame his fears of driving. If it happens that it is a long drive I try not think about it, enjoy the countryside if there is one to look at, and listen to Iron Maiden or Stephan's black metal collection because it keeps you going fast.



You are usually seen at gigs sporting old Death-/ Blackmetal shirts or Old School Clevo HC designs. As such your shirts happen to represent a very different style compared to those sold by FP. Would you ever consider wearing the stuff you sell for FP? If so, would you ever trade one of your Ringworm shirts against a Final Prayer shirt?

To begin with your last question the answer would be NO! I might buy one, just put your band's name in some obscure, cryptic font on it. Add a couple of skulls, witches on acid, pentagrams, upside down crosses, goats or dead bodies and I´ll definitely buy one. Important: no crazy colours, black should do. I mean a first step is made because they did a Darkthrone-Transilvanian Hunger rip off shirt.

On a similar note: what has been the dumbest merchandise article you've ever seen?


I don’t get the idea behind bands making “band” beverages. It's just free booze where the band put some stickers on. Same goes with underwear. What do want me to say when you have born from pain or blood for blood written on your panties. Maybe that you have given birth to child and that it was painful? Nowadays it seems that you don’t have to go to a department store anymore to buy some clothes, just go to a show. On the other hand if the kids wanna buy this stuff, fine with me. Its just not for me. By the way coolest thing I`ve ever bought at a show: a Hot Water Music beer cooler. Good looking and very practical in the summer, cause it keeps your beer (coke for the edge kids) cold. Cheers.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen